incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Publishing the PPMC Roster
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2011 00:48:18 GMT
On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 8:29 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton <orcmid@apache.org> wrote:
> I notice that it is possible to know who are the PMC members of a top-level
> project (although it takes some work).
>
> I have not found any visible place where Incubator PPMC rosters can be found
> automatically.
>
> I think it would be a good idea to have such a roster visible to the public
> and, especially, this list.
>
> That way, you would know who has taken on a commitment to participate in the
> governance of the Apache OOo Podling.
>
> Also, in the case of a ballot carried out on this ooo-dev list, it is a formal
> way to confirm whose votes are binding.
>
> I propose to begin a lazy consensus that continues for 5 days ending midnight
> Friday, 2011-10-14T24:00Z.
>
> Unless there is some Apache policy that prohibits this action, and no serious
> objection, I will go ahead and arrange for the PPMC roster to be published on
> an appropriate incubator page.

That sounds like a discussion point more than a proposal.  A proposal might say:

1) What page will contain this information?

2) Is updating the page a manual or automated process?

3) Who will do the updating?

4) How are you determining who is on the PPMC?  Based on vote?  Based
on subscribing to ooo-private?  Based on an authorization file?

I might be a +1 or -1 depend on answers to the above questions.  For
example, I'd be against a manual process that yields the wrong answer.

But I do like the idea in general of listing the PPMC members.  Or
even better have a single list that is annotated per roles, e.g. PPMC
member, committer, mentor.

-Rob