incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Marketing Team
Date Fri, 14 Oct 2011 20:05:37 GMT
On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 3:27 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
> While discussing this month's PPMC Board Report we discussed making volunteers from the
PPMC responsible for certain roles. We quickly proceeded with a Press Liaison due to the immediate
need. Before settling on a larger set of roles let's have a discussion and come to a consensus.

> Types of roles or teams:
>
> (1) External or Marketing Team. Involving the relationship of the AOOo project community
with the many communities in the OOo universe.

> - Press Liaison. (Don Harbison is currently filling this role.)
>
> - Security Officer. Responsible for security co-ordination with other entities.

Worf?

But seriously, we already have a security team in place, via the
ooo-security list.  Their responsibilities also include security
co-ordination.  But we could certainly use another 2 or 3 volunteers
there, especially among active coders on the project.

> - TDF Liaison. Dedicated to the special relationship between AOOo and LO. (Would we have
other special relationships?)

All our relations are special.  But I assume it would be silly to have
a liaison to IBM Lotus Symphony.

> - Brand Manager. Dedicated to the OOo brand.

I think of that as being a marketing function.  Could break it out,
but these two functions would need to closely coordinate.  Maybe think
of it this way:  I could certainly imagine a dedicated ooo-marketing
mailing list.  But I don't think an ooo-branding list would get much
traffic.

> - Legal Affairs. Assure that copyright, license, and terms of use are all proper. That
the NOTICE and LICENSE files are correct. Seek copyright assignments from authors where helpful.
(Is this another team?)

I think that is a core dev function, since it will mainly involve
changing heads in the source files, etc.  With the clarifications we
received from Robert, I don't see a problem here.  Also, this is not
an ongoing role.  Once we've done the initial IP processing, the
committers as a whole pay attention to IP requirements on a daily
basis.  So it is important for the committers as a whole to all be
familiar with the requirements here.

-- Social media (or media in general), so press, blog, twitter,
facebook, etc.   Or maybe that goes with marketing?

Obviously the answers here will depend on volunteers and how much time
they can dedicate to these tasks.

-Rob

> Regards,
> Dave
>
> On Oct 12, 2011, at 12:51 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

I would

>>> Khudairi, VP Publicity, ASF.
>>> Now where is that teflon suit?
>>> /don
>>>

>> +1 for Don as press liaison.  I've seen him do good work in this area
>> in other organizations.
>>
>> But shouldn't we raise these roles, the call for volunteers, etc., in
>> a new thread?  Right now it is buried in a PMC report thread, which is
>> not exactly a topic that attracts much attention.
>>
>> -Rob

It