incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Shutting down legacy OOo mailing lists
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2011 14:27:27 GMT
On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 11:35 AM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

<snip>
> In the three to four weeks that it will take to get to step (7) AOOo and Apache Infra
should have control over the openoffice.org MX records. An easier alternative would be to
decide what MX services we want to continue on openoffice.org and do the MX migration at this
point. Even if it will bounce and/or forward email.

Can we talk through that option a little more?  Take a legacy list
like users@openoffice.org.  If we try to handle this via the MX
record, then that applies to the entire domain, all mailing lists as
well as forwarding email account at openoffice.org.  Is that correct?
In other words, the MX record is at the level of openoffice.org, not
at the level of users@openoffice.org.

So in the MX approach, is there any way to do a more gradual
migration, or do we need to do it all at once, including the
forwarding accounts?  I know for web traffic, there is some
flexibility at the subdomain level.  But these are all the same
domain, just differing by account.

Suppose there is some way to get over that.  Then we could create
identically named (or predictably mappable) equivalent lists using
ezmlm.  But since we're not able to automatically sign users up, the
traffic forwarding would all end up in the moderator queues.  Of
course, these could be passed through.  We could even white list the
addresses.  (or black list in the case of spammers)  But it doesn't
get people signed up on the ezmlm list.

Where this might be useful is for cases where a legacy email list
address is on a third party page, or maybe even in our own legacy list
archives.  Someone does a Google search and sees something that says,
"If you run into this problem, please send an email to
foo@openoffice.org".  Some degree of forwarding for these emails would
ensure such users don't get lost.

But we can't simple forward *.openoffice.org to a
ooo-legacy-bucket.i.a.o email list, since many of the *.openoffice.org
are personal forwarding addresses and contain personal content.  And
some lists are private lists.  So any forwarding scheme would need to
be very sensitive to these details and would likely need an actual
enumeration of the 300 or so lists and the unknown number of official
contact emails (webmaster, etc.) that we want to forward.

Do you see that path in a similar way?  Or do you see a simpler way of
doing that?

-Rob