incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Marketing Team
Date Fri, 14 Oct 2011 20:41:36 GMT
On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 4:32 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
> The real point to this discussion is that the AOOo podling PPC needs a clear Marketing
Team.

If I may make an observation:  the people doing the majority of the
code commits are really not active in the marketing/press/brand
threads. And those that are most active in the marketing/press/brand
threads are not writing a lot of code. This is not a problem.  We have
a diversity of interests.  But it suggests there might be some value
in spinning off an ooo-marketing list first, allow anyone who wishes
to join, and then drill into these other topics.  Maybe the
participants of that list become essentially the "marketing team"?
There is some advantage to letting the coders focus on the code, with
less thread churn, and let other groups concentrate on other
functions.  For things that require project-wide discussions (and not
everything does) we can agree to discuss on ooo-dev as the main list.
Or maybe we create an ooo-general for that.

> On Oct 14, 2011, at 1:05 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 3:27 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
>>> While discussing this month's PPMC Board Report we discussed making volunteers
from the PPMC responsible for certain roles. We quickly proceeded with a Press Liaison due
to the immediate need. Before settling on a larger set of roles let's have a discussion and
come to a consensus.

>>> Types of roles or teams:
>>>
>>> (1) External or Marketing Team. Involving the relationship of the AOOo project
community with the many communities in the OOo universe.

>>> - Press Liaison. (Don Harbison is currently filling this role.)
>>>
>>> - Security Officer. Responsible for security co-ordination with other entities.
>>>

>> Worf?
>>
>> But seriously, we already have a security team in place, via the
>> ooo-security list.  Their responsibilities also include security
>> co-ordination.  But we could certainly use another 2 or 3 volunteers
>> there, especially among active coders on the project.
>
> My thought is if we have someone on the PPMC who volunteers for first chance to answer
security questions on ooo-dev or ooo-users then we will quickly have a common and measured
response.

>>> - TDF Liaison. Dedicated to the special relationship between AOOo and LO. (Would
we have other special relationships?)

>> All our relations are special.  But I assume it would be silly to have
>> a liaison to IBM Lotus Symphony.
>>
>>> - Brand Manager. Dedicated to the OOo brand.
>>>

>> I think of that as being a marketing function.  Could break it out,
>> but these two functions would need to closely coordinate.  Maybe think
>> of it this way:  I could certainly imagine a dedicated ooo-marketing
>> mailing list.  But I don't think an ooo-branding list would get much
>> traffic.
>>
>>> - Legal Affairs. Assure that copyright, license, and terms of use are all proper.
That the NOTICE and LICENSE files are correct. Seek copyright assignments from authors where
helpful. (Is this another team?)

>> I think that is a core dev function, since it will mainly involve
>> changing heads in the source files, etc.  With the clarifications we
>> received from Robert, I don't see a problem here.  Also, this is not
>> an ongoing role.  Once we've done the initial IP processing, the
>> committers as a whole pay attention to IP requirements on a daily
>> basis.  So it is important for the committers as a whole to all be
>> familiar with the requirements here.
>
> I'm willing to move Legal to a different thread. We do need someone to help with TOU
on the migration side. It is more to have one person asking Legal, not several people with
variations.

> I haven't looked at Robert's comments other than I knew we needed to wait for Andrew
to comment.

> Regards,
> Dave
>

>> -- Social media (or media in general), so press, blog, twitter,
>> facebook, etc.   Or maybe that goes with marketing?
>>
>> Obviously the answers here will depend on volunteers and how much time
>> they can dedicate to these tasks.
>>
>> -Rob
>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Dave