incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Mailing list user migration: Staging and volunteers
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2011 21:30:18 GMT
A quick summary of where we are, in case you haven't been following
the previous threads.

Information on the top 100 legacy mailing lists is on the wiki [1].
A draft note that will be sent to these lists is an another page [2].

If you note in that first page, the "Migration Owner" column is blank.
 So either I need to quickly learn French, Dutch and Japanese, or I
need some help here.

Volunteers would translate the note, send it to the relevant NL lists,
and be available on those lists to answer any migration-related
questions.  Ideally you would already be a participant on the lists
and familiar to that community.

As for staging, I'd recommend that we do not do this all at once.
Migrating 100 lists at once would be very messy.  But we can easily
break this down into related groups of lists and do the migration over
a few weeks.  One possible staging would be:

1) All the lists that will be merged into the new ooo-marketing list.
This will help jump start that lists important work, and bring
community members into the discussion who might not have been
interested in the other topics we've been discussing on ooo-dev.

2) All of the lists that will be merged into ooo-dev

3) All of the lists that will be merged into ooo-users

4) NL lists (which could be done in parallel with the above.  However,
they will require some discussion and admin work to create new
ooo-lang lists,)

The thought behind this staging is that we "work out the kinks" with
the more technical and (hopefully) more forgiving project lists,
before moving on to the user and NL lists.  We can adjust the
instructions and messaging based on what we learn from the initial
migrations.

Regards,

-Rob

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Mailing+lists