incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ODF and HTML 5
Date Sun, 09 Oct 2011 18:30:30 GMT
On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 5:07 AM, Ian Lynch <ianrlynch@gmail.com> wrote:
> There has been a proposal to try and get ODF recognised as an official
> extension of HTML5. On the face of it it sounds a good idea but I
> don't know enough about the details or whether this is already in
> progress. I guess it would require discussion with W3C, OASIS, and
> probably TDF and ASF as a minimum. A logical technical need could be
> to develop ODF rendering and editing in web browsers. To start with
> this might simply be a limited subset of what can be achieved in
> OO/LibO.
> --

I know of a few discussions in this area, to see if there is
sufficient interest, but there is no official standardization effort
in this area.

The main motivator is the emergence of a new class of editors, the web
based editors.  They tend to be flow-oriented, WYSIWYG editors that
focus on a subset of the desktop editing experience.  What is the best
way to ensure interoperability across these editors, and with
traditional desktop editors?

Using ODF as-is, is one possibility, it is not really optimized for
that use.  For example, the web, with CSS, has a very different view
of how style hierarchies are defined.  And ODF, with an attribute
vocabulary based on XSL:FO, has an unclear mapping to CSS.

So one option discussed is to subset ODF to create a web profile.
Other ideas discussed include defining a canonical mapping between
that subset and HTML/CSS.  Other ideas are defining an "ODF model"
that can be expressed directly in a JSON encoding, for easier
consumption by client-side HTML apps.

Again, nothing official yet, just some explorations.  One that is
clear is that the question of formats and desire to avoid vendor
lock-in does not just go away because we have web editors.  Although
we don't see the documents and do not store them on disk in a visible
form, the documents are stored in an encoded form, and where that
encoded form is defined by an open standard there are some advantages
over a stored format that is proprietary.

>From the perspective of AOOo, since we don't have web editors, I'd
look at it from another angle.  Now that we have the code under a
permissive license, maybe we want to think of working toward a
componetized version of AOOo that could some day be integrated into
Firefox?  That is a more direct way of getting ODF viewing and editing
support into the browser.  Alternatively, get a higher profile plugin
for Firefox and other browsers to enable this support.

-Rob