incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Forums down: SQL Error: Too many connections [1040]
Date Mon, 17 Oct 2011 22:28:56 GMT
On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 6:16 PM, MiguelAngel <mariosv@miguelangel.mobi> wrote:
> El 17/10/11 23:09, Rob Weir escribió:
>> On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 5:03 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
>> <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
>>> Rob,
>>>
>>> There was an update to the Forums Proposal based on some of the comments.  The
>>> message about that is
>>> <http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ooo-dev/201110.mbox/%3cCAN7m23S1QRBvhoUc4niJ3rRuQvJ3kNt-v_5=0LXiM_bSHPGrNw@mail.gmail.com%3e>:
>>>
>>>   I mentioned
>>>
>>>     1. Changing "sign the ICLA" to "become a committer" in part C.
>>>     2. dropping "ASF" from part H.
>>>
>>>   on the forum and got a couple of positive responses and no objections,
>>>   so I made the change on the wiki.
>>>
>> OK.  If there are no objections in the forum, and no objections
>> expressed on the list, then why the hell are we voting?   IMHO, JFDI.
>>  Welcome aboard, Forum Volunteers!
>>
>> -Rob
> Hi Rob,
> Forgive me, but my understanding of English is not very good, only a
> forums volunteer.
> Please could you explain in a more understandable words?.
> I would like interpret right what you have writen.
> Thanks in advance.
> -Miguel Ángel.

Sure.  In an Apache project, there are only a few situations were we
require a vote.  One is to approve new committers or PMC members.
Another is to approve a release.  For other decisions we operate by
"lazy consensus".  This means that if there are no objections to a
proposal, then the person who makes the proposal can go forward and
implement it.  No vote is required.

I'd prefer that we do not have an unnecessary vote when there is a
clear consensus to go forward with the forums.  Having unnecessary
votes might suggest that in the future other decisions might be
deficient if they do not also have unnecessary votes.  I don't want to
set that expectation.  I don't want us to make the decision making
process in the project less efficient.

JFDI mean "Just F***n'  Do It".  In other words, once it is clear that
there are no objections, then stop talking about, just do it.  The
idea is to eliminate needless discussion on the list.  There are many
other things we need to discuss  and resolve.  We should take the
proposals that we agree on off the list and start implementing them.

So thanks for submitting the proposal.  It was discussed and no one
objected.  Congratulations.  Now the hard work begins....

-Rob