incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <>
Subject Re: Migration: any plans to preserve mailing list archives?
Date Thu, 13 Oct 2011 01:22:17 GMT
On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 9:11 PM, Rob Weir <> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 9:05 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
> <> wrote:
>> Shane,
>> If you register on the site (recommended), and are logged in, you
will find something amazing at
>> <>.
>> Those are not all of the lists.  There are, in addition, 15 pages of Projects (146
>> <>.  (Be logged in to view this too.)
>> The Native Language (NL) projects appear to be here too.
>> I believe that the static content has been captured.  Kay Schenk can report whether
she has captured them all.
>> Nothing about the interactive aspects such as mailing lists and the community efforts
is being sustained or salvaged as far as I know.
>> There seem to be three aspects here:
>>  1. These deserve pruning.  Our alternative, so far, has been to add two mailing
lists to ooo-* @i.a.o.
>>  2. No one able to handle preparation, staging, and figuring out what to install
and administer to continue on Apache infrastructure has stepped forward at AOOo.  It is not
clear who has the keys to those operations.  When Terry Ellison was working to provide a
migration of the MediaWiki setup and the Forums services onto Apache Infrastructure, he reported
that he had no capacity to add this under his wing.  No one else with knowledge of this kind
of service has been identified.
>>  3. It would be great if there were some energetic body, similar to the Forums squad,
that could step in and find a way to embrace and sustain what is still important as part of
the ecosystem.
> Maybe the SpamAssassin PMC would be interested in archiving the legacy
> mailing lists?  From what I can tell,  most of the 146 mailing lists
> seem to receive nothing but spam.  It could prove to be a useful
> corpus for them.

But seriously... I think we've falsely constrained our thinking to a
false dichotomy -- either we migrate now, or we lose everything.  We
have a 3rd option, and that is to grab database dumps, virtual machine
images, etc., and just set them aside.  If someone wants to migrate it
in the future, then they can do that.  Tomorrow, next week, next
month, next year.  We preserve the data and preserve our options.
Storage is cheap.  Time isn't.  So back up everything, I say.

> -Rob
>> I don't have anything constructive to offer beyond pointing at the burning building.
>>  - Dennis

View raw message