incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Shutting down legacy OOo mailing lists
Date Thu, 20 Oct 2011 16:20:41 GMT
On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 11:48 AM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> This is excellent.
>
> On Oct 20, 2011, at 7:57 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 4:11 PM, Andrea Pescetti
>> <pescetti@openoffice.org> wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
>>> I would turn the post you describe into a warning that the mailing list
>>> address will change, including all information about Apache but not
>>> requiring users to take action. I volunteer to consolidate the 12 lists into
>>> 3 and to subscribe users to the right ones (of course, being "project owner"
>>> of it.openoffice.org, I have a list of all subscribers to the 12 lists).
>>>

>> I did an experiment on how we can subscribe users to the mailing list
>> automatically.  I looked just at the technical aspect of this.  I did
>> not look at the legal or policy implications.
>
> I'm not a lawyer, but if a user has to approve the new subscription that may be enough
to meet even the highest privacy requirements.

> Next steps if we were to proceed:
>
> (1) Getting the emails from Oracle.

That may not be possible.  It depends on how Oracle understands the
ToU for the legacy lists and relevant data protection laws.
Corporations tend to be conservative and risk-averse, I do not think
they would make this data available to us.

I was speaking only to the technical steps that someone might take.

In any case, I look at this a little differently.  We don't need pure
numbers.  We're not looking for passive viewers.  If someone is so
disengaged that they are unwilling to subscribe to a new list, then
they are probably not going to be active project members.  And if they
find using mailing lists difficult, then maybe we should be pointing
them to the phpBB forums, as an easier interface to use?  And for
ourtreach where we are looking to get the message out to the maximum
number of users, then we should be looking at social media;  our blog,
Twitter, Facebook, etc.

use that address. If we had that email map even if scrubbed of the name then we can apply
that transformation as well.

The email forwarding service is something entirely different.  I'm not
touching that at all in my proposal.  It is an independent migration
topic.  As far as I can tell no one has volunteered to do that.

> The subscribe email sent would then use the personal email.
>
> The list of OOo emails would be useful for sending warnings that these "vanity" ids are
going away.

> It would be great to have a single message about the OOo MX transition.

If there is consensus on how we are treating the email forwarder, we
can certainly mention that in the post to the lists.  But even if we
don't have an answer on this yet, we can link to a "migration update"
page that can be kept current with our high-level status of interest
to the wider ecosystem.

> Of note, securityteam@oo.o is being kept. Are there other community MLs on OOo that should
be kept? That's part of your inventory ;-)

I'm not touching private lists, at least not initially.  I'm looking
only at the most-used lists, maybe the top 50 community lists or so.
We can iterate.  We don't need to do it all at once.

-Rob