incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Making donations to the project
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2011 17:35:02 GMT
On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 1:28 PM, Joe Schaefer <joe_schaefer@yahoo.com> wrote:
> What pray tell would you want it to be spent on?
> Historically the ASF only spends money on infrastructure
> and marketing, it does NOT fund development.  In the
>
> past if some donor wants us to spend money on a certain
> type of equipment, we can usually make that happen so
> long as it's not a major investment.  We don't at this
> point need funding for additional sysadmin time for ooo
> (tho thatwas only recently resolved).

For most Apache projects, this would not make sense at all.  I cannot
imagine handing out 100,000 USB keys with Tomcat or Ant on it to
school children would make much sense.  But it might make sense for an
end-user facing product like OpenOffice, and funds have been used for
things like this before.

Remember, next to Firefox and probably more so that Linux itself,
OpenOffice is probably the most familiar open source product out
there.  For many it is the user's first encounter with open source (or
at least their first conscious encounter -- we all know the world runs
on Apache HTTP Server).  Open source in general benefits from users
having an earlier and good experience with open source products like
open office.  Certainly proprietary vendors work hard to get their
products introduced early into schools, funding from their marketing
budgets software giveaways, training, etc.

But you make a fair point.  We should not pursue a funding mechanism
just out of habit and then search for a use.  We should have a
persuasive purpose in mind, and then discuss the best appropriate
means of achieving that purpose.

-Rob