incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Shutting down legacy OOo mailing lists
Date Thu, 20 Oct 2011 19:12:53 GMT
On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 2:53 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> Your technical item was an interesting distraction. It may have a use. I think below
you give a good explanation of your plan.

> Let me express a recommendation that ought to alleviate my concerns about the full MX
issues.

> I am still concerned that we may be abandoning a database of over 450,000 OOo users,
but that is another, related, topic.

> On Oct 20, 2011, at 10:24 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 1:14 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
>> <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
>>> Rob,
>>>
>>> As were you, I was looking at the value of the ezmlm confirmation e-mail and
>>> its opt-in requirement for moderator-initiated subscriptions.  It seemed to
me
>>> that would provide a clean opt-in point for users of lists about to be
>>> retired.
>>>
>>> The process for the moderator-initiated subscription needs to know
>>> subscription e-mail addresses for the current members of the to-be-retired
>>> list.    It depends, of course, on a moderator having the subscriber e-mail
>>> addresses, and I did not indicate how that could be solved any more than your
>>> experiment did.
>>>

>> So you are recommending that we send an unsolicited opt-in message to
>> all list subscribers, including the spammers that have taken over many
>> of the lists?
>>
>> Work it through and see what the savings in effort really is for the user:
>>
>> 1) They still need to read two emails:  One that tells them to expect
>> an opt-in email and then the actual opt-in notice.  If we don't do the
>> first one then the 2nd note will scare many of them, since it appears
>> to come unsolicited.
>>
>> 2) Whatever we do, they still need to respond to the opt-in email
>>
>> 3) The net savings in effort is that the user does not not need to
>> click an initial mailto: link to generate the confirmation email.  So
>> in order to save the user a single click, we're going to risk going
>> against data protection laws as well as sending an invite to spammers
>> to join our list?
>
> Got it. One email - repeated.
>
> If the text around the mailto: informs the user not to use an @openoffice.org address
for their new subscription then my concerns are moot. It should be something like "All personal
@openoffice.org email address forwarders will be dropped on migration."

OOo was providing only a forwarder, right?  No SMTP server for sending
an email from an @openoffice.org address.  So this might solve itself
by the nature of how a user signs up for the list, i.e., by sending an
email from a non-openoffice.org email address.

Or would spoofed return addresses as GMail does them be an issue?  Do
you know off hand if our ezmlm subscribes users via spoofed addresses?
 Or would it only take the real address?

But if technical means are not sufficient, then a message, along the
lines you suggest would work.

> The text of this email needs to be carefully considered on ooo-dev. Since you plan a
review then I am fine.

> I also think that the one (or more) OOo legacy ML that are being continued should be
clearly mentioned as well.

> Look at this email as the one opportunity to get a clear message about AOOo out to all
of these subscribers. We have a difficult story for the user and it needs to be the most positive
and consistent message possible.

In some cases this may be the first time that a subscriber has heard
from us.  So yes, we need to make a good first impression.  We're
trying to start or continue a relationship with them.

>> This makes zero sense for me.  If you want to do it, then please
>> volunteer.  But as an employee of a large multinational corporation
>> that does care about data protection laws, I will not be involved in
>> any such approach.
>
> I am looking at this as due diligence before making a decision where there is no going
back.

> Regards,
> Dave
>

>> -Rob
>>

>>> I think the modifications to ezmlm messages is important regardless.
>>>
>>>  - Dennis
>>>
>>> STILL THINKING OUT LOUD
>>>
>>> On the other hand, making moderators of the current list be moderators on the
>>> new list and being sure that they notify the list of the move prospect would
>>> be a way to subdivide the work with people who presumably do have access to
>>> the distribution list of the retiring ML.  Those moderators can be expected
>>> follow the rules that apply in their jurisdictions.
>>>
>>> And wait: Aren't the lists on a US hosted site already?  The Oracle Privacy
>>> Policy might be the governing situation.
>>>
>>> Providing an opt-in migration that is not a surprise to the list members,
>>> announced clearly in advance, might be a clean way to navigate all of this.

NL