incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Renaming of OpenOffice.org
Date Mon, 17 Oct 2011 22:35:11 GMT
On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 5:54 PM, Ian Lynch <ianrlynch@gmail.com> wrote:
> I propose that we rename OpenOffice.org Apache OpenOffice and abbreviate it
> to ApacheOO or AOO and trademark each of those terms. At the same time
> invite submissions for a new logo or logos based on these terms with a
> deadline of end of November after which the PPMC decides it by vote.

Personally, I like the shorter name "Apache OpenOffice".  On the other
hand, I realize that my personal preference is meaningless.  This
might be a good question to bring over to the new ooo-marketing list
(once set up) for discussion.  I'd especially be interested in some
analysis of the pros and cons of the alternatives.  If we decide based
on the aggregate of the project members' personal preferences we'll
probably not make an optimal choice.  The analysis is key, I think.

-Rob