incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Shutting down legacy OOo mailing lists
Date Thu, 20 Oct 2011 14:57:25 GMT
On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 4:11 PM, Andrea Pescetti
<pescetti@openoffice.org> wrote:
<snip>

> I would turn the post you describe into a warning that the mailing list
> address will change, including all information about Apache but not
> requiring users to take action. I volunteer to consolidate the 12 lists into
> 3 and to subscribe users to the right ones (of course, being "project owner"
> of it.openoffice.org, I have a list of all subscribers to the 12 lists).

I did an experiment on how we can subscribe users to the mailing list
automatically.  I looked just at the technical aspect of this.  I did
not look at the legal or policy implications.

Moderators of Apache lists can subscribe new users to the list, by
sending a specially addressed email to the list manager.  For example,
to subscribe foo@bar.com to this list, you would send an email to:

ooo-dev-subscribe-foo=bar.com@incubator.apache.org

Note the @ in the address is replaced by an =

A moderator can do the above, but this still will generate a
confirmation email, to foo@bar.com, in English:

at ooo-dev-owner@incubator.apache.org.

To confirm that you would like

   foo@bar.com

added to the ooo-dev mailing list, please send
a short reply to this address:

   ooo-dev-sc.XXXXX.XXXXX-foo=bar.com@incubator.apache.org

Usually, this happens when you just hit the "reply" button.
If this does not work, simply copy the address and paste it into
the "To:" field of a new message.

or click here:
		 mailto:ooo-dev-sc.XXXXX.XXXXXX-foo=bar.com@incubator.apache.org"

So with the moderator rights available to us now, we can't do a fully
automated sign up of existing list members, even if we had resolved
the legal and policy issues.  I don't know if there are other,
administrative functions in ezmlm that could be used, by Apache Infra,
to more fully automate this.

-Rob