incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Staging OOo Site: Bugs and Improvements
Date Mon, 31 Oct 2011 23:44:32 GMT
On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 4:52 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Oct 31, 2011, at 1:13 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
>
>> Ignore the -1, it was just about processing happening when I was using them only
to clarify the kind of thing I wanted to report and have taken care of deliberatively, rather
than have them dumped on you in some odd way.  It was on me as much as anything, since I
should have known by now that the examples would be processed.

>> Yes, I am subscribed to ooo-commits.  Unfortunately, the CWiki commits don't come
over as diffs but as complete text before and after.  So I rarely read them.  For me, all
they serve as is a reminder to go to the CWiki page and find out what really happened.  I
find ooo-issues much easier to handle.

>> "Already known to be in progress" is the problem here.  I will follow Rob's comment
and use BZ.

> -1. If there are a slew of BZ reports without people learning to fix it in the Apache
CMS then I will ignore. You REALLY can use the bookmarklet on ooo-site.apache.org - just like
the podling site.

Of course, there are more people that can find issues than have the
permissions or skills needed to fix them using the CMS.  I think we
should be looking for a way that we can benefit from their eyeballs.

Maybe we're just not ready for that level of review yet?  Is that the idea?

Maybe it would help if you said something like "The website is up and
has many known issues in areas X,Y,Z.  Before reporting those I could
use some help in finding problems in areas A, B and C and discussing
on the list ways of resolving them".

> Repeating myself.
>
> Before you go and put a bunch of little formatting issues from websites that are already
known to be a work in progress in BZ two things need to happen.

> (1) Someone besides me has to take ownership on that web project. I am willfully going
to ignore BZ.

> (2) We all need to agree on what the approach is for the website. And this is a discussion.
>
> Please do not disregard the above request. I am saying that there are bugs and you will
make a lot of extra work if they go in BZ and require someone to check and close each one
when they will likely be found anyway as (1) and (2) are picked up.

> If you don't like the way the website does something at this point is not a bug it is
a discussion. I want a discussion and not demands!

> BZs when nothing is set just will turn this into a not fun JOB. It is too soon for BZs
on the website.

>> The terms-of-use one is broader, but the short-term solution is simple.  I'll raise
that on its own thread.

> +1.
>
> If you know the appropriate language for the web, wiki, and forum then yes each is its
own related topic. Here I think you just need to let the correct people know. We are waiting
to do this work. It is expected.

> Regards,
> Dave
>

>> - Dennis

properties must be removed.  Likewise the Team Office one.  It is already established that
these are inappropriate under Apache governance.  I believe it is appropriate to have a page
that indicates there are many ways to provide supporting donations, specifies where to donate
to ASF, and may list others with a disclaimer that the contributor should satisfy themselves
as to the purposes of other listed sites and that ASF has no liability whatsoever in providing
links to them.

>>> With regard to uniqueness of the pages between the various NLs, I lean toward
that while also wanting the NL groups to be able to express their individuality.  Having
them be essentially similar in the main content, but translated into the NL, is valuable in
many respects. It allows a non-NL-fluent person to figure out what the buttons and menu items
are by knowing what they are on pages that are understood -- not unlike trouble-shooting an
NL install for someone who doesn't know that language.  Having bi-lingual information on
the pages can be useful too.)

>>> If the pages are similar enough, having a flag-banner or other strip for choosing
between languages is also useful, reducing the amount of searching that has to be done in
an unfamiliar language.

>>> - Dennis
>>>
>>> -1
>>>
>>> OK, back to the thread.  I gave examples and wanted a way to report more in
some systematic fashion so they could be handled systematically.  Instead, there is processing
in the e-mail.  I wanted to avoid that (and here I am, doing it also).  Wiki is not my favorite
choice, because nothing keeps my eye on it and I have to mess around subscribing to individual
pages and dealing with wikiText editing.  I think I'll try bugzilla, even though there may
be considerable discussion on some topics, such as the PayPal and Donation discussion here.

button and solicits $25 donations for downloads:<  http://ooo-site.apache.org/es/programa/index.html>.
 The solicitations are for the "oooES" PayPal account.

I think it is in a similar category to Team OpenOffice. I've found a paypal button in the
Greek site to an individual for translation work. Not sure about others yet. I'll know when
we're complete. These were all sanctioned at some point and I think the PPMC will need to
decide policy in conversation with trademarks@a.o.