incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Can we close the old mercury servers?
Date Fri, 14 Oct 2011 17:16:41 GMT
On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 11:56 AM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Oct 14, 2011, at 8:49 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 11:26 AM, Ross Gardler
>> <rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:
>>> One of the comments on the Foundation blog is:
>>>
>>> "Unless I'm mistaken, nothing has happened in the last 6 months:
>>> http://hg.services.openoffice.org/DEV300"
>>>
>>> It is perfectly understandable why someone would make this mistake.
>>>
>>> Can we please do something about the old Mercury servers.
>>>

>> I think we should be redirecting common legacy URLs to their new
>> counterpoints rather than simply closing or deleting things.
>> Otherwise someone, like the commenter, will not just think the code
>> has not been touched in 6 months.  They will think that the code is
>> unavailable entirely.  The issue is external links into the project,
>> including links from the Google search index.  You deal with that with
>> HTTP redirection.
>
> Not an option until we have control of the DNS.

Exactly.  Once that happens, we could do something like redirect all
requests to */openoffice.org/* addresses back to existing Oracle
servers, except for specific URL's that we redirect to Apache pages.
As we migrate things we redirect more and more to Apache.  We may have
dozens of such redirection defined.

What is required to make this happen, at least the first step where
Apache gets the initial HTTP requests and does the redirects to the
existing servers?  Do we need anything from Oracle?

-Rob