incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Neutral / shared security list ...
Date Sun, 23 Oct 2011 02:37:15 GMT
On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 11:28 AM, Simon Phipps <simon@webmink.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 4:16 PM, Pedro Giffuni <pfg@apache.org> wrote:
>
>>  -1
>> The Apache Foundation *IS* neutral.
>> Beyond the evident open wounds the previous relationship with SUN/Oracle
>> may have left in the community, the OpenOffice.org domain is the natural
>> reference for longtime users and the developers of the many forks.
>>

> I agree, but the problem is one not of the neutrality of the trademark owner
> but rather the practical neutrality of the administration of the shared
> list.  Is the project happy for the list administration to be shared with
> others outside Apache?
>
> If so (and if it actually happened!) I would share your vote and re-iterate
> my earlier proposal that securityteam@openoffice.org be used.

Simon,

I hope TDF members (and members of other related source projects) will
accept our hospitality and join us on the securityteam list.  IMHO, it
would be a waste of everyone's time to go a crusade for cosmic
neutrality, or to create more redundant lists in such a quest.  Just
accept our hospitality graciously, as it is offered.  Similarly, it
looks like Apache will be hosting support forums that will help answer
questions both for LibreOffice users as well as OpenOffice users.   I
don't see anyone raising concerns that the support forums will not be
sufficiently neutral just because they are hosted at Apache and under
PPMC oversight.  That is as it should be.  It is another area where we
can collaborate.

However, if there is a desire to reciprocate for Apache hosting the
mutually beneficial security lists and support forums (and I hope
there is) then maybe TDF can propose another area for collaboration,
an area where we can work together, maybe this time as a guest on a
TDF web site?  For example, AOOo currently does not have a Pootle
server.  Is that an area where TDF this time can help AOOo?

-Rob