incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Is there an org chart of the previous OOo governance(s)?
Date Thu, 13 Oct 2011 00:01:01 GMT
On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 7:34 PM, Shane Curcuru <asf@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:
> OK, so there was the Community Council and the ESC, as well as the "leads"
> and participants on an array of Projects that worked on specific areas of
> OOo code, websites, outreach, conferences, everything.
>
> Since all these organizations effectively were tied to Sun/Oracle, has
> Oracle officially updated or dissolved those organizations explicitly? Or
> was that part of the transition from Oracle to the ASF that wasn't covered?

Apache is a reboot.  The previous organization is formally irrelevant.
 There is no need for anyone to formally dissolve the old structures.
When we made an incubation proposal that became the project's new
charter.

> I'm just trying to understand what some of the other previous expectations
> around OOo governance and the brand were, so we can better explain what the
> new governance structure is (i.e., this PPMC and the Apache Way) and how we
> (and others) should refer to the OOo brand now.

I think the old structures were universally derided and caused much
discontent, leading in part to the Novell fork and then to
LibreOffice.  I see no benefit to dredging this up again.  No one is
advocating replicating the former project structures.

-Rob