incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: working on a OpenOffice roadmap
Date Sat, 22 Oct 2011 01:16:56 GMT
On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 8:28 PM, Andrew Douglas Pitonyak
<andrew@pitonyak.org> wrote:
> On 10/20/2011 05:02 AM, Martin Hollmichel wrote:
>>
>> * A call to LibreOffice contributors also to contribute their changes to
>> Apache as the ASF is the long desired independent foundation for
>> OpenOffice.org. On this basis a collaboration among the OpenOffice.org
>> Apache Project and TDF can be achieved and duplication of efforts get
>> avoided. As a result the question which project/product to choose is not
>> that important any more.
>
> Are you aware of the number of changes that have already been applied to the
> LibreOffice code base? It is very large. So, although it seems like a
> realistic desire on the surface, it may be difficult in practice. How long
> ago was the fork? Many people have spent significant time making changes,
> and many of those changes depend on earlier changes.

It really is not that hard.  At IBM we have our own fork of OOo called
Lotus Symphony.  We've made millions of lines of our own changes, but
we still have merged in many patches from OOo.  It requires some care,
but it is not rocket science.

-Rob