incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] When Is a PPMC Invitee a PPMC Member?
Date Sat, 15 Oct 2011 18:51:41 GMT
On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 2:40 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton <orcmid@apache.org> wrote:
> I am initiating a lazy consensus with regard to when someone is recognized as
> being a PPMC member.  Recognition as a PPMC member applies both for being
> listed on the Podling Status roster and for eligibility to cast a binding vote
> on any podling ballot.
> The discussion will last until midnight Tuesday, 2011-10-18T24:00Z.
>
> PROPOSAL: No one is established as a PPMC member unless they have an
> invitation to the PPMC and they are subscribed to ooo-private@
> incubator.apache.org.  No one who has not established themselves at the PPMC
> before a vote commences (on ooo-private or on ooo-dev) is not counted as
> casting a binding PPMC-member vote on that ballot.

I assume the triple negative is unintentional?

No objections to your proposal, but I'm not sure it solves anything.
I'm not sure there is even a problem.  If a a vote is held on
ooo-private, then we really don't need to worry about someone who is
*not subscribed* to the list casting a binding vote.  They would not
even know about the vote in the first place, right?

And if it is a public vote, e.g., on a release, then subscription to
the private list is not really relevant.

So rather than thinking of this as a binding versus non-binding vote
thing, maybe just say that if someone is invited to joint the PPMC,
but they have not subscribed too ooo-private within some period of
time (3 months?) then their invitation is rescinded.  If they decide
to get active again, they can always be renominated.  That approach
would takes care of the voting side of things as well.

-Rob