incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Neutral / shared security list ...
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2011 17:01:38 GMT
On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 12:46 PM, Florian Effenberger
<floeff@documentfoundation.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Rob Weir wrote on 2011-10-25 18:38:
>>
>> I believe it is a bad pattern to establish for collaboration.  We need
>> to recognize that TDf/LO exists as a project, and AOOo exists as a
>> project.  Once we acknowledge this then it logically follows that
>> collaboration will occur between these two projects.  Do we create a
>> new mailing list or website, or wiki or whatever, every time we want
>> to collaborate?  Is that what we really want to start doing?  If we
>> want to coordinate on maintaining a module, we can't do it at Apache?
>> If we want to share translation strings, we can't do it at TDF?  If we
>> want to share anything, we need to create and maintain an entirely new
>> infrastructure for it?  Sorry, that does not make sense.
>
> answering questions with other questions does not make sense.
>
> Again, given the history of this topic, I think neutral grounds make sense.
> I made a proposal, and so far I have not heard any compelling reason why
> this proposal is wrong.
>
> And I doubt you will name me one, because there is none.

It is like making a baby.  If you are covered head to toe in latex, it
ain't going to happen.  You're trying to do collaboration in a
hermetically sealed box, wearing gloves and pinching your nose so you
don't have to smell the other party.  Nothing useful will come from
that sterile approach.  Those who want to collaborate need to start
getting dirty, working on each other's existing mailing lists (sacre
bleu!) and acting more like hackers and less like cold war diplomats
arguing over the shape of the negotiating table.  Collaboration is not
about neutrality.  It is about collaboration.  The sooner we
acknowledge this out the sooner we'll achieve results.

Again, I invite you to accept our hospitality graciously, and continue
participation in the long-established OOo secrurityteam mailing list,
soon to be under Apache control and hosting.  I'd also love it if you
thought of some TDF-hosted service, in some other area, where you
could return the favor and allow us the honor of accepting your
hospitality, and give us the opportunity to demonstrate that we have
no problems in principle with collaborating with TDF/LO on web sites
that they control.

-Rob