incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Staging OOo Site: Bugs and Improvements
Date Mon, 31 Oct 2011 19:25:12 GMT
On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 3:18 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> +1
>
> I agree that the PayPal and other specific donation pages on http:// *.openoffice.org
properties must be removed.  Likewise the Team Office one.  It is already established that
these are inappropriate under Apache governance.  I believe it is appropriate to have a page
that indicates there are many ways to provide supporting donations, specifies where to donate
to ASF, and may list others with a disclaimer that the contributor should satisfy themselves
as to the purposes of other listed sites and that ASF has no liability whatsoever in providing
links to them.

> With regard to uniqueness of the pages between the various NLs, I lean toward that while
also wanting the NL groups to be able to express their individuality.  Having them be essentially
similar in the main content, but translated into the NL, is valuable in many respects. It
allows a non-NL-fluent person to figure out what the buttons and menu items are by knowing
what they are on pages that are understood -- not unlike trouble-shooting an NL install for
someone who doesn't know that language.  Having bi-lingual information on the pages can be
useful too.)

> If the pages are similar enough, having a flag-banner or other strip for choosing between
languages is also useful, reducing the amount of searching that has to be done in an unfamiliar
language.

>  - Dennis
>
> -1
>
> OK, back to the thread.  I gave examples and wanted a way to report more in some systematic
fashion so they could be handled systematically.  Instead, there is processing in the e-mail.
 I wanted to avoid that (and here I am, doing it also).  Wiki is not my favorite choice,
because nothing keeps my eye on it and I have to mess around subscribing to individual pages
and dealing with wikiText editing.  I think I'll try bugzilla, even though there may be considerable
discussion on some topics, such as the PayPal and Donation discussion here.

I thought we discussed this on the list already.  There is a "www"
product in BZ with the description, "Covers website infrastructure and
mail list functionality, such as IssueTracker, bad links,
dysfunctional mail lists."  Why not just enter your issues there?  If
there is something that merits special notice, then post a note to
ooo-dev and link to the BZ issue.

-Rob

and solicits $25 donations for downloads:<  http://ooo-site.apache.org/es/programa/index.html>.
 The solicitations are for the "oooES" PayPal account.

>> Yes, I've flagged that as well - Alexandro should be able to explain oooES. I think
it is in a similar category to Team OpenOffice. I've found a paypal button in the Greek site
to an individual for translation work. Not sure about others yet. I'll know when we're complete.
These were all sanctioned at some point and I think the PPMC will need to decide policy in
conversation with trademarks@a.o.