incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Neutral / shared security list proposal
Date Fri, 21 Oct 2011 18:33:39 GMT
Please continue the detailed governance topic only on securityteam@OO.o.

Out of respect for the TDF guys, I don't want them to feel that the
only way they can have a say in the governance of securityteam is to
have a public discussion on the AOOo dev list.  I've seem previous
posts from TDF members, in other contexts, where they expressed
concerns about such things.

This will be the last post on this topic I will forward to ooo-dev.
And I'd caution others against forwarding material from a private
list, like securityteam, to a public list, like ooo-dev.  It is very
dangerous to cross post like this between public and private lists.
Let's stop that.  Now.

-Rob

2011/10/21 Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org>:
> OK, I am going ahead and including securityteam@OO.o in this discussion, then all of
us can see what's being discussed.

> I am adding the full text of what Michael was replying to as well.
>
> Simon proposes something more promising, from my viewpoint, beyond bilateral ownership
between AOOo and TDF.  He is looking for a multilateral solution using securityteam@ OO.o,
and this [DISCUSS] was started in response to Simon's proposal.

> There have been objections to this being only bilateral between AOOo and TDF.  A multilateral
approach is preferred for how the list conducts itself and how participants are able to ensure
coordination with their own private security operations when an issue of common concern comes
to light.

> Securityteam@ OO.o has a multilateral membership, I presume.  That was workable under
Sun and OASIS custodianship and there is no reason to assume that ASF (not AOOo) is not a
reliable custodian in that regard with regard to operational support, preserving security
of the list, dealing with outages, etc.  This is not about what happens on the list, but
fundamental IT operational support and the serious desire to ensure security and preservation
for the list and its archives.  ASF (not AOOo) has strong, enduring capabilities in that
regard.  It also manages an overall security@ operation and supports the various security
teams associated with individual Apache projects.

> Since ASF has been granted the domain name, the continuation of securityteam@ OO.o will
come under ASF infrastructure operation at some point, in some manner.  If the list can be
preserved using the already-known list address, that will be the least disruptive, operationally.

> How governance is dealt with on the list is independent of custodianship and has to be
worked out whoever hosts the list.  Commitment to multilateral governance is not a JFDI.