incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Areas for cooperation between AOOO and LO [was: Cooperation withRe: Neutral / shared security list ...]
Date Mon, 24 Oct 2011 23:32:06 GMT
On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 7:11 PM, Simon Phipps <simon@webmink.com> wrote:

> On 25 Oct 2011, at 00:56, Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> Hi Simon, do you have any other ideas for cooperation, preferably ones
>> that are not redundant?
>
> While I am amused that your first words after "hopefully will attract fewer trolls" themselves
include a mean-spirited troll, I'm sorry you think a collaborative security mailing list with
shared, collaborative ownership is "redundant".

We already have a collaborative security mailing list that has 4 LO
members on it, as well as several AOOo members, representatives from
other vendors, security experts from Linux distros, etc.  So we are
already there.  Creating a new list for the same thing would be
redundant.

> We clearly have very different views of the world. I continue to think such a list holds
great opportunity for collaboration since it was working in that role for many months, but
it's hard to see how it can now be the securityteam@ list, unfortunately (unless your'e speaking
alone, of course).

As above, the list exists and LO and AOOo members are already on it,
Time to declare success and find additional areas to collaborate.

>>  I suggested cooperating on translations via
>> a shard Pootle instance.
>
> Hard to see how that would work since it would require the source to be highly similar
and that looks unlikely to be the case.

I think the value would come from the "translation memory" aspect.  So
even if we had different source files, the UI's of the products are
nearly identical, and the underlying concepts of the products remain
very the same and likely will remain so for the foreseeable future.
(it is not like spreadsheets and word processors have changed much in
the past decade).  So there may be some value in sharing translation
memory of basic concepts and repeated patterns that are common to
describing both products.

It also makes it easier for translators who wish to contribute to both
products at once, similar to what ODF Authors has done for
documentation.

>>   Or maybe code browsing/searching facilities
>> with OpenGrok.  Or either of those possible?
>
> Hard to see how two very different source trees can have a shared browser. It would be
best for Apache to run its own instance.

>> Or maybe work on a collaborative Q&A site as an alternative user
>> support option?
>
> Plausible in the future but a little early to be proposing it - YAGNI applies.

A little too early? It looks like someone is already trying this for
LO, but they are failing to get enough participation needed to
graduate on StackExchange.  So it looks like an area ripe for
collaboration:

http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/24564/libreoffice

>>   Or maybe a shared template and extensions site?
>
> I believe I once proposed such a thing, and was told by both communities that licensing
issues would largely prevent it.

I certainly proposed such a thing, and licensing was not an issue in
my proposal.  Maybe we should revisit, if you think this is a possible
area for collaboration?

Any other ideas?

> Delighted to hear you are now such a fan of co-operation though, Rob. I'll be sure to
support any viable proposals you present to both communities.

I'll continue to float the ideas by you first, Simon.  I'd like you to
be able to find some success in your goal to lead these projects to
find areas to collaborate.

-Rob