incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <>
Subject Re: Process for deciding on branding strategy for our first release
Date Mon, 31 Oct 2011 19:38:15 GMT
On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 3:32 PM, Alexandro Colorado <> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 1:15 PM, Rob Weir <> wrote:
>> Looking at the dev work that remains, I think we need to move forward
>> on this with deliberate speed.  This impacts both the branding on our
>> 3.4 release, as well as the branding on our web sites, both of which
>> are making strong progress.
>> I think there are two main elements we need to decide on:
>> 1) Product name:  Apache OpenOffice, Apache or something
>> else
>> 2) Logo, for use on website, product splash screen etc.
>> I propose that we discuss these topics on the ooo-marketing for two
>> weeks, until November 14th.  If there is consensus on these questions
>> then we will go forward to implement that consensus.  But if there is
>> no consensus by the 14th, then we will have a 72-hour vote of PPMC
>> members to decide among the alternatives.
>> Of course, it is better to reach consensus on such questions, but a
>> product name is not optional, so we need to resolve these questions
>> one way or another.
>> Any objections to this general approach and time frame?
>> -Rob
> My largest issue is basically the way is being handled this voting, usually
> it seems that is not as easily traceable as a poll. Mailing list can easily
> bury vote by just having chatty people or flamewars.
> I rather see the forum as a more dynamic way to reach consensus like they
> do with a voting poll separate from the overall discussion why is a good
> idea or not. Also I would miss the ability to change the voting in case the
> voter realize that he has a change of heart. I do like the timeline.
> So I would propose a decision making framework to account vote, change
> votes, and easily browse/review overall group decisions.

The way an Apache project typically does this is via separate
[DISCUSSION] and [VOTE] threads.  So it would be clear which is which.
 And in the [VOTE] thread we would only count the last vote a person
makes, so they can change their vote freely.

But I would only have a [VOTE] if after 2 weeks there was still no consensus.

Would that work?

> --
> *Alexandro Colorado*
> ** Español
> fingerprint: E62B CF77 1BEA 0749 C0B8 50B9 3DE6 A84A 68D0 72E6

View raw message