incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Migrating forums: JFDI (was: Forums down: SQL Error: Too many connections [1040])
Date Tue, 18 Oct 2011 01:36:26 GMT
On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 8:46 PM, Shane Curcuru <asf@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:
> On 10/17/2011 6:28 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 6:16 PM, MiguelAngel<mariosv@miguelangel.mobi>
>>  wrote:

>>> Hi Rob,
>>> Forgive me, but my understanding of English is not very good, only a
>>> forums volunteer.
>>> Please could you explain in a more understandable words?.
>>> I would like interpret right what you have writen.
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>> -Miguel Ángel.
>>>>

>> Sure.  In an Apache project, there are only a few situations were we
>> require a vote.  One is to approve new committers or PMC members.
>> Another is to approve a release.  For other decisions we operate by
>> "lazy consensus".  This means that if there are no objections to a
>> proposal, then the person who makes the proposal can go forward and
>> implement it.  No vote is required.
>>
>> I'd prefer that we do not have an unnecessary vote when there is a
>> clear consensus to go forward with the forums.  Having unnecessary
>> votes might suggest that in the future other decisions might be
>> deficient if they do not also have unnecessary votes.  I don't want to
>> set that expectation.  I don't want us to make the decision making
>> process in the project less efficient.
>
> Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about the precedent of having
> unnecessary votes.  While Apache projects are encouraged to have clear rules
> for decision making (so it's easy for newcomers to understand), it's also
> expected that as a project evolves it's community, it may choose - through
> clear discussions - to change it's rules.  But I digress.

Proposals are typically about one or more volunteers stating what they
want to do.  If there are no technical objections, then we let them do
it.  It is about the do-ocracy.

Votes are typically about advancing the status of something in a
process or workflow.  We change the status of contributor by voting to
make them a committer.  We change the status of a build by voting to
make it a release.  The IPMC changes the status of an incubation
proposal to make it a Podling.

The problem with a vote in this instance is that the forum proposal is
a proposal for what the forum volunteers want to do. It is mainly
about what they want to do.  It was reviewed and there were no
objections.   We don't need to vote to allow committers to implement a
proposal in other circumstances.  I don't think we want to start
adding that requirement here.