incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Shutting down legacy OOo mailing lists
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2011 19:17:03 GMT
On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 2:54 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> My concern for this proposal is that it doesn't involve engaging any of the OpenOffice.org
community, it simply tells them a two-week-out date where something will happen and there
is no opportunity for dialog.

I don't think that is an accurate statement of what I am proposing.  I
intend to be very specific about what will happen in the note to the
mailing lists.  It wull not be mysterious.

As for "dialog",

1) The initial note would point out the existence of ooo-users and
ooo-dev and (by that time) ooo-marketing and invite them to join those
lists if they wanted to further dialog.

2) I would subscribe to each of the lists receiving the notification
and be available to answer any questions users might direct to those
lists.

> Maybe publishing the list on the wiki (the presumption being anything not on that list
is simply shut down?) will help.  Maybe assistance will come forward if there is more regret
in what is foreseen and it is made know that help is welcome and valued?  Do you see this
as something that can be adjusted for or is it necessary for someone to take it off your hands
to do that much?

My proposal included putting a list on the wiki.  So that part will be covered.

-Rob