incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Review of OpenOffice.org Forums Agreement
Date Wed, 12 Oct 2011 01:22:13 GMT
On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 8:57 PM, Shane Curcuru <asf@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:

> On 10/11/2011 8:46 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 8:37 PM, Shane Curcuru<asf@shanecurcuru.org>
>>  wrote:
>
> ...snip...
>>>
>>> Actually anyone is welcome to work with Apache infra on their normal
>>> mailing
>>> lists or even open JIRAs to get work done, so there's no strict need for
>>> Apache IDs in many cases; not sure where you got that idea. However there
>>> are many tasks that are simpler to do within the ASF if the requester is
>>> committer, so it certainly helps to be a committer.
>>>

>> Where did I get this idea?  From this page [1] where it says,

>> Foundation's infrastructure team to discuss issues concerning the
>> operation of the overall Apache Software Foundation systems.
>> Participation in this list is only available to committers of the
>> Apache Software Foundation"
>>
>> Are you saying that there is  a "normal" Apache Infra mailing list
>> where this is not true?
>>
>> [1]
>> http://www.apache.org/foundation/mailinglists.html#foundation-infrastructure
>
> Good point.  Can't help ya on that one.  But there are plenty of people who
> aren't committers who can send emails to the infrastructure@ list to ask
> questions, report problems, and sometimes even get responses back from the
> list.
>
> Dunno if we'd agree that that kind of behavior would be covered under the
> definition of the word "work", but it's far too late to day for me to
> discuss that intelligently.
>
> I'm sure infra and many other projects will welcome your patches to their
> websites to clarify details like this.

We can leave this to the forum admins to resolve.  If they think they
can do their work with just infrequent and casual interactions with
Apache Infra, and they don't need write access to Subversion, shell
access, ability to share files to Infra on people.a.o, etc., then the
don't need to be committers.

But let's be honest here.  We can't maintain the podling's single
status page without access to SVN and ssh.  I suspect forum admins
will benefit from being committers.

-Rob