incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Shutting down legacy OOo mailing lists
Date Thu, 20 Oct 2011 16:28:41 GMT
On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 12:23 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> The moderator-issued subscription e-mail seems useful, especially because it
> is done as an opt-in (requiring confirmation from the recipient).  If the list
> to be retired was informed of this process, its near-automatic operation could
> be considered.

I don't see how this could work.  Maybe if you happen to be a
moderator of the legacy list and are willing to take on yourself any
personal liability related to data protection laws.  But I don't see
how this would work in general.  Any thing we do to automate this
would still require proactive action by the user, either sending an
email, clicking a mailto: link in an email, or going to a website and
entering their email address.  They would need to do an action like
that, and then respond to the confirmation email.