incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Neutral / shared security list ...
Date Sun, 23 Oct 2011 02:59:00 GMT
On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 10:37 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 11:28 AM, Simon Phipps <simon@webmink.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 4:16 PM, Pedro Giffuni <pfg@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>>  -1
>>> The Apache Foundation *IS* neutral.
>>> Beyond the evident open wounds the previous relationship with SUN/Oracle
>>> may have left in the community, the OpenOffice.org domain is the natural
>>> reference for longtime users and the developers of the many forks.
>>>

>> I agree, but the problem is one not of the neutrality of the trademark owner
>> but rather the practical neutrality of the administration of the shared
>> list.  Is the project happy for the list administration to be shared with
>> others outside Apache?
>>
>> If so (and if it actually happened!) I would share your vote and re-iterate
>> my earlier proposal that securityteam@openoffice.org be used.
>>

> Simon,
>
> I hope TDF members (and members of other related source projects) will
> accept our hospitality and join us on the securityteam list.  IMHO, it
> would be a waste of everyone's time to go a crusade for cosmic
> neutrality, or to create more redundant lists in such a quest.  Just
> accept our hospitality graciously, as it is offered.  Similarly, it
> looks like Apache will be hosting support forums that will help answer
> questions both for LibreOffice users as well as OpenOffice users.   I
> don't see anyone raising concerns that the support forums will not be
> sufficiently neutral just because they are hosted at Apache and under
> PPMC oversight.  That is as it should be.  It is another area where we
> can collaborate.
>
> However, if there is a desire to reciprocate for Apache hosting the
> mutually beneficial security lists and support forums (and I hope
> there is) then maybe TDF can propose another area for collaboration,
> an area where we can work together, maybe this time as a guest on a
> TDF web site?  For example, AOOo currently does not have a Pootle
> server.  Is that an area where TDF this time can help AOOo?

I just noticed that the LO help website is heavily linked into the OOo wiki.

Try this Google query:

http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Ahelp.libreoffice.org+link%3Awiki.services.openoffice.org

Again, we're very pleased to help TDF/LO in this area, by ensuring the
long-term availability of these pages, as they are migrated over to
Apache control and management.  This helps our users and it clearly
helps your users as well.  But I have not heard anyone complaining
that the wiki is not sufficiently neutral because it is going to
Apache, or that we should create a new wiki to be more neutral.  That
would be childish.

So there are already several inter-dependencies between LibreOffice
and AOOo.  We shouldn't be afraid of them.  So let's not get hung up
on the securityteam list.  That is just one of several areas where
TDF/LO is using Apache hosted and controlled facilities to benefit
LibreOffice and LibreOffice users.  Maybe there are things TDF could
be doing to help us?  Mutual dependencies can serve to foster trust,
the more interdependent we are.  How about Pootle?  Is that something
you can share access with us?  Or an OpenGrok instance?  Any other
ideas?

-Rob