incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject [Proposal] Shutting down legacy OOo mailing lists
Date Sun, 16 Oct 2011 22:12:39 GMT
I'm making a proposal now to shut down the legacy OOo mailing lists
and direct the existing subscribers to one of the AOOo mailing lists.
I realize that this is not the solution that many of us would prefer,
but I believe that it is the best way forward that anyone is willing
to volunteer to lead.  Please delight me by proving me wrong on this,
by objecting this this proposal *and volunteering to do an alternative
migration*.   But this approach is more graceful than the default, if
we do nothing, of just having the lists just go down one day and not
recover.

Proposal:

If not one objects and offers to lead a different transition plan, in
one week I will do the following:

1) Make a list of all public legacy OOo mailing lists that have
received at least 5 non-spam email in 2011.

2) Publish that list on the wiki, along with :

a) the language predominately spoken on the list, if not English

b) the recommended AOOo list that existing subscribers should be pointed to.

3) I will then draft, in English,  a post to be send to the above
lists.  The post will talk about the overall effort of the migration
to Apache, the specific migration of the mailing lists, and invite the
subscribers to stay informed and to participate in the new Apache
lists.  Information on how to subscribe will be provided.  A shutdown
date, for the legacy lists will be included, two weeks from the
posting date.

4) I will invite volunteers to translate the draft post into other languages.

5) I, and whatever volunteers wish to help, will send the posts to the lists.

6) The note will be repeated a week later.

7) After two weeks we request via Oracle that the Kenai admins close
the lists, per: