incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Renaming of OpenOffice.org
Date Tue, 18 Oct 2011 16:58:01 GMT
On 18 October 2011 17:38, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org>wrote:

> +1 to Kay's perspective

On that we all agree, but putting it off isn't necessarily going to make it
less of a headache!

Couple that with recent information about the Apache podling --
> OpenOffice.org -- and I truly feel that a re-branding/trademarking *at
> this stage of development* would not be good, and could potentially be
> harmful in terms of identification.

Perhaps so but a strategy for rebranding that is clear and transparent to
everyone is rather different from just saying let's not do anything until
AOO is ready for release.

Shane has suggested the PPMC should deal with this -- fine. And Rob has
> suggested the new marketing head (team) should deal with it -- maybe
> also fine. Maybe a nice compromise would let the "marketing area"
> suggest something to the PPMC.

But apparently it is not normal to define "heads" in the Apache Way, so
perhaps this thread is the marketing area suggesting something to the PPMC
;-) At least suggesting we need to talk it through and come up with a
reasonable solution well in advance of being forced to do something in a
hurry.

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940