incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Making donations to the project
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2011 16:07:59 GMT
On 19 October 2011 16:49, Martin Hollmichel <
martin.hollmichel@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Am 19.10.2011 17:24, schrieb Ross Gardler:
>
>  On 19 October 2011 16:10, Martin Hollmichel
>> <martin.hollmichel@googlemail.**com <martin.hollmichel@googlemail.com>>
>>  wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>>  I think the question we should be asking, in addition, is: what makes

>>> partners do
>>> their business better and thus come to faster solutions for end users and
>>> customers is a central issue, we should and want to work on,
>>>
>> I agree with the sentiment but not with the words.
>>
>> The ASF does not have partners, it produces software for the public
>> good. Of course, the people you refer to as partners are part of the
>> public. So the distinction may be not be important.
>>
>> However, the ASF cannot, as a charity, do anything that benefits any
>> one organisation/individual more than any other.
>>
>> That being said. I do agree with the sentiment of where this thread is
>> going.
>>
>> So what do you want the AOOo project to do to build this ecosystem?
>>
> From my old experience I would not recommend to do so, but this might be an
> issue which could be discussed.
>
> When I speak of partners, I mean all the people and companies doing
> business with OpenOffice.org, I think these a thousands around the world.
> They are doing good jobs in migrating others to OOo, doing 1st and 2nd level
> support, trainings, etc. what they missed and still missing is to buy "last"
> level support which never has offered by the big ones (Sun, IBM, etc) on a
> broad basis. I agree that this is nothing the ASF wants to provide (and I do
> not recommend). But I think this might attractive to do this on an open and
> non-profit basis, but of course you need for this a bunch of experienced and
> full time developers.
>

>> Ross
>>
> Martin

Why could ASF not grant an entity eg Team OO the right to use the OOo trade
mark for fund raising subject to a set of conditions. That way the fund
raising is outside ASF so no complications with current legal set up and
enough flexibility for Team OO to set up a sustainable organisation
dedicated to supporting end users and getting donations from end users.

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940

Wales.