incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: working on a OpenOffice roadmap
Date Thu, 20 Oct 2011 09:36:36 GMT
On 20 October 2011 10:02, Martin Hollmichel <
martin.hollmichel@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Wether to stay with OpenOffice or LibreOffice or to migrate to LibreOffice
> or to OpenOffce is a question in the recent past often occurred, by users,
> by people doing business with OpenOffice, by the press. The answer I would
> like to give is that this question is not really that relevant because there
> is a roadmap in place and both projects plan to stay close together.
>
> I suggest following actions:
>
> * A call to LibreOffice contributors also to contribute their changes to
> Apache as the ASF is the long desired independent foundation for
> OpenOffice.org. On this basis a collaboration among the OpenOffice.org
> Apache Project and TDF can be achieved and duplication of efforts get
> avoided. As a result the question which project/product to choose is not
> that important any more.
>
> * Provide an OpenOffice.org 3.3.1 micro release showing the world that
> OpenOffice.org continues to move (assuming that an production stable 3.4
> release is not ready to get happen within the next months), this release
> should include a prominent statement to show the upcoming roadmap with the
> next releases. This 3.3.x release may not comply with the ASF standards but
> is an ideal vehicle for doing communication and elaborate on the transition
> from the old to the new environment.
>
> * Work on a model or agreement where user donations specific to the project
> can be continued. This is not only a matter for the ASF (and Team OOo), but
> for the overall community and we need to find ways to include them
> (including TDF) into this discussion. It is required that we have a clear
> communication on how donations will benefit the project and to provide
> transparency on the execution. A donation model shall give users a more
> direct possibility to influence the further development of the product
> without the filtering by own interests of a profit orientated organization.
> We need to include the expertise of people doing business with OpenOffice
> into this approach, so doing this discussion also on
> discuss@openoffice.org <mailto:discuss@openoffice.org**>might makes sense.
> The employment of full time developers sponsored and directed by the
> community is IHMO a very good chance and would be examplary for the bigger
> opensource projects. I think this model is already to be proven as working
> fine for small OS projects and we now got that chance to introduce this also
> for OpenOffice.org.

Hi Martin,

I'd like to consider the last point first. There is no reason why TeamOO
can't carry on as a fund-raising entity independent of ASF and TDF but
providing benefit to both. I suggest that this is the simplest way to
arrange things because it does not require any changes to the existing
structures. Of course getting permission to use trademarks etc from each
project is a "nice to have" but even that is not essential if you don't use
the branding except nominatively. Donations are only part of the potential
business that such an entity could do but it is a good starting point again
because it is simple. With the right business strategy optimising grants
from the EU and income from other services and merchandise it is not
difficult to envisage resource generation that would be very significant. A
further advantage of this approach is that it frees up the people working
through TDF and ASF to focus on their core business of getting code done and
distributed. Of course close collaboration with both communities would be
highly desirable but not a show stopper to start with if it isn't
forthcoming.

So how would the money be used? The board of TeamOO could include TDF and
ASF representation (and from other interested parties). That board would
make strategic decisions about what to fund and how to raise further funds
supported by volunteers. An alternative approach would be to have a board
entirely independent of any particular project in order to sidestep any
problems with internal politics. Really, deciding a constitution is
something that needs to be thought through as soon as an overall strategy is
agreed. It might be that one or other of TDF/ASF wants to cooperate and one
not. That then requires some decisions but in effect and independent TeamOO
makes such situations at least manageable.

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940

Wales.