incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Renaming of OpenOffice.org
Date Tue, 18 Oct 2011 08:29:05 GMT
On 18 October 2011 03:55, Andreas S├Ąger <villeroy@t-online.de> wrote:

> Am 18.10.2011 01:35, Carl Marcum wrote:
>

>> Since we already need to do some re-branding for adding Apache, I think
>> we should drop the .org which I believe was only there because
>> OpenOffice was already trademarked.
>>

> And still is: http://www.openoffice.nl/
>
> But then Apache OpenOffice(TM) would get round that. One possibility would
be to Trademark Apache OpenOffice alongside OpenOffice.org and publicly
declare they are referring to the same thing. Gradually replace as many
instances of OOo with AOO as is practically possible while the first code
release is in preparation. Design logos ready (they don't have to be
released immediately but designing them and deciding which to use takes time
and we don't want to be rushed into that at the last minute). On the first
code release announce the official consolidation to Apache Open Office.
Putting things off is not going to help in making a smooth transition and
will detract from the impact of that initial release when it happens. It is
a marketing event that has to be planned because it is a one off
opportunity.

John said that everyone now knows that OpenOffice.org is an Apache product.
I very much doubt that is true. Most end-users I have talked to have no idea
what LibreOffice is, the Document Foundation or Apache. We have to think in
terms of consumers with AOO/OOo. Most are not geeks, most don't even know
there was a product called Star Office or that Sun was bought by Oracle.
This is why marketing is a very different game to developing code.

I accept that it might take a while to sort out the best timing to make any
trademark changes but we do need to make a decision in principle so everyone
can refer consistently to one agreed set of terminology even if it is only
for internal use to start with.
--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940