incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Marketing Team
Date Mon, 17 Oct 2011 08:47:23 GMT
On 17 October 2011 07:58, Ross Gardler <rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:

> With my mentor hat firmly on...
>
> +1 to Dennis' observations below.9 --

I wasn't suggesting any advertising around official AOO websites etc. Simply
that if outside ASF we made some You Tube videos (put OpenOffice.org into a
You Tube search and you will see there are already a lot)  it is a potential
source of income. Doesn't need to be part of the ASF at all. It would be the
same for selling AOO T-shirts or other merchandise. Mozilla seems to do this
well, for example.

+1 to video/text/slidedecks/posters that explain what AOOo is and how it can
> be used by third parties and how those third parties can build upon and
> contribute to the project.
>
> -1 on the AOOo project itself seeking to directly monetize any of it's
> outputs

Again I am emphasising that this could well be something better outside ASF.
It's akin to IBM selling services around Symphony and then contributing back
developer time to AOO.

+1 on any individual here using our outputs to build interest in their
> products/services based on AOOo (as long as they respect or trademarks)

In the OOo project, I donated some money to individuals that needed it for
some specific issues. I didn't donate it to Sun - it was small amounts, it
would have got lost in a lot of bureaucracy. I don't think every part of the
wider community did everything through Sun or the CC. On another occasion I
got a grant and went to the NEA conference in Los Angeles and paid for
another volunteer in the US to promote OOo and give out CDs. Without that
grant OOo would have had no presence at one of the biggest teacher
conventions in the USA. So money does make a difference and if it is
difficult to deal with it in ASF, to me it makes sense to deal with it
outside. If ASF has funding to cover every relevant conference for OO
globally, frankly I'd be very surprised. Just seems to me that marketing by
its nature is likely to spread beyond the confines of ASF. However, there is
nothing to stop a marketing group within ASF tracking these things so there
is intelligence behind any strategy within ASF and if only to ensure that
trademarks are indeed respected. I'd expect some sort of voluntary code of
practice where it was expected that any fund raising, whether inside or
outside ASF was fully transparent. Of course ASF has no legal control
outside its own legal scope but that is why codes of practice are useful.

Ross

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940