incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Not new but under a new hat
Date Sat, 01 Oct 2011 13:28:57 GMT
On 1 October 2011 00:12, Alexandro Colorado <jza@openoffice.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 5:10 PM, Mathias Bauer <Mathias_Bauer@gmx.net
> >wrote:
>
> > Am 30.09.2011 21:36, schrieb Alexandro Colorado:
> >
> > > I dunno why this is such an issue really, we are both open source
> > projects.
> > > Cooperating and working together doesnt really needs much, just commit
> > > both projects and move on. I mean, what are we looking for here, do you
> > want
> > > an explicit thank you note from both projects? Or you only wanting to
> get
> > > commits and contribute to both.
> >
> > I think that I have clearly stated what I would like to see. Or better,
> > what I don't like to see. Sorry, but I don't understand how your comment
> > is related to that.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Mathias
> >
> My comment relates that there are many people expressing opinions, while we
> should be focusing more on contributions.

Contributions are of course very important and I think Mathias has
contributed a lot more code than you or I so his views should have
significantly more weight.

> If a large population focus on
> contributions, then the working together part will just happen.

I don't think that is very likely at all. Even if it did the question then
is how much more might have been achieved? Where does this "large
population" come from? It seems to me that you catch more bears with honey
than you do with vinegar so attracting developers to a larger cooperative
ecosystem is more likely than to one that is divided and "bitchy". Getting
that environment right won't happen without some dialogue that is positively
motivated to do it. Ok, some might not be interested in that aspect  - then
just leave it to those that are rather than acting destructively.

i.e. If the localization on LibO and OOo is handled by the same group of
> people, then, the working together part, wouldn't be that hard to achieve.

If my aunty had balls she'd be my uncle ;-).

If is the pivotal word. Why would that localisation by a single group happen
spontaneously in the current climate? It might but it might not. The
question is how to make it more likely that that might happen? Without some
discussion about the scope for co-operation you are just leaving it to
randomness and hoping.

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940