incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Renaming of OpenOffice.org
Date Mon, 17 Oct 2011 22:18:55 GMT
On 17 October 2011 23:04, floris v <florisv59@gmail.com> wrote:

> Op 17-10-2011 23:54, Ian Lynch schreef:
>
>  I propose that we rename OpenOffice.org Apache OpenOffice and abbreviate
>> it
>> to ApacheOO or AOO and trademark each of those terms. At the same time
>> invite submissions for a new logo or logos based on these terms with a
>> deadline of end of November after which the PPMC decides it by vote.
>>
>>  You could also consider Apache Office, as all Apache software is open
> source. But maybe that's too far away from the original.

The reason I prefer Apache OpenOffice is purely from a marketing point of
view. The name OpenOffice has had 10 years of brand building. With no
marketing budget and no immediate means of raising brand awareness it needs
everything possible to help the public profile. LibreOffice has had a year
yet I know of virtually no-one outside FOSS enthusiasts who have heard of it
whereas OpenOffice many have.

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940