incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Making donations to the project
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2011 10:09:17 GMT
On 19 October 2011 10:51, Ross Gardler <rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:

> On 19 October 2011 10:21, Ian Lynch <ianrlynch@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 19 October 2011 09:35, Ross Gardler <rgardler@opendirective.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> On 19 October 2011 09:20, Ian Lynch <ianrlynch@gmail.com> wrote:

> > If [anyone] called themselves the Champions of Open Desktop
> > Productivity Tools or something, raised money and gave some of it to LibO
> > and some to pay an OOo developer why would there be a problem?
>
> If  Apache Trademarks are respected then anyone can do whatever they like.
>
> If Apache marks  are used there needs to be formal agreement with the
> ASF about that use (this would be obtained via the trademarks
> committee with recommendations from the AOOo PPMC)
>
> > Paying to put on a conference could be done by ASF but it could be done
> by a
> > third party with or without ASF cooperation. (Better with, but just to
> > illustrate that it would be technically possible to run a conference
> > separately as long as no trademarks were infringed).
>
> Careful, the ASF does not pay to put conferences on.

I said could :-) if it chooses not to use money in that way it is up to the
members to decide.

> We do have money
> and volunteers to help people put events on.

So that is really the case of a third party cooperating. That is a sensible
default.

Probably off topic for
> this thread but I wanted to nip a potential misunderstanding in the
> bud.

I'm just trying to illustrate what the constraints are and that actually
there are relatively few formal ones. The main constraint is simply deciding
a method and priorities.

> > So there is a massive range of flexibility even now within the system as
> it
> > exists.
>
> Yes, it works pretty well for nearly 200 projects, many of which have
> a higher economic value than AOOo, many of which have a much lower
> value. The question in my mind is whether AOOo feel it is not suitable
> simply because it is different, or is there genuine need for the kind
> of model AOOo had in the past.
>
> > If we knew specifically what problems TOO had we might be able to
> > help. Of course the problem they have might be in defining the problem
> ;-)
> >

> Yes. We need TOO to participate in this discussion. As well as the
> many other organisations that have an interest in this area.

So I have an interest, but I can't see a problem with things the way they
are. Nothing seems to prevent me from doing what I would want to be doing
anyway. If someone wants to set up a fund for donating directly to support
AOO I don't really see why that would be a problem either. Even if ASF
didn't approve, as long as no trademarks are infringed what could ASF do
about it?

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940