incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: working on a OpenOffice roadmap
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2011 11:23:06 GMT
On 25 October 2011 11:28, Simon Phipps <simon@webmink.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 8:20 PM, Pedro Giffuni <pfg@apache.org> wrote:
>

> > If libreoffice encourages, but not requires, AL2
> > for stuff in the core package, that would be a huge
> > advance to get a bit nearer both camps.
>
> Given licenses are the expression of the ethos of a community, it's
> disingenuous and divisive to assume any community will drop its governance
> approach like this, Pedro. It translates as "the path to collaboration is
> your surrender; we can negotiate once you've done that".  You make it sound
> so innocent, too, by missing out the other requirement that Apache would
> have for contributors to sign an ICLA and thus join Apache :-)

I didn't interpret it like that.  From a practical point of view AL2 can be
used and converted downstream, it's not possible for LGPL to be used AL2 so
the only way code can be shared is via AL2. If some developers feel strongly
about that, they can contribute only to the LGPL licensed pool. If some are
not so concerned they can contribute to AL2 because it will work with both.
Ok that is effectively a commit to Apache, but since all Apache commits are
potentially reusable in a LGPL project, why is that seen as such a one way
traffic thing? Really Pedro is simply saying encourage people that don't
feel too strongly about it to us the AL2 license. If that is a problem I
doubt there is much point in taking the discussion further.

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940

Wales.