incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Making donations to the project
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2011 14:17:47 GMT
> I've heard numbers for OOo legacy contributions, and I've seen the
> Apache numbers, and I wouldn't be so dismissive about what AOOo could
> raise.  But I'd urge us to decide policy based on principles, not on
> numbers.  Numbers only confuse the issue.
>
> > For example, I still don't know why people feel that the model that
> > works for every other ASF project won't work for AOOo. That model has
> > worked for longer than the OpenOffice.org project has existed in its
> > many forms over the years. What stops it working for AOOo?
> >

> I think the question we should be asking, in addition, is: what makes
> us think that the model that OOo used historically might not work even
> better?

+1

I think what matters is not just "oh it works fine" but how do we maximise
benefits.

 I don't think anyone is saying the Apache model doesn't work.
>  The question is whether other models work even better for end-user
> facing projects.
>
> > [and before anyone reacts, that is an open question, please don't read
> > assumptions about whether I believe the current model works, just
> > answer the question as best we can]
> >

> Understood.
>
> > If it turns out the existing ASF model will not work for AOOo then we
> > can start looking at new models that will work. If it turns out it
> > will work then we just have to educate those affected by the change in
> > model.
> >

> I don't have a strong opinion here.  I'm just trying to raise, in a
> sympathetic tone, the points that others closer to the issue have
> raised with me off-line.

Not a case of it won't work, it probably will, a case of might some other
thing pull more resources in and enable more development? For me personally,
I have other strategies but I can see how someone else might want to do
things differently and get enhanced results. I suppose it comes down to
someone posting a specific proposal.

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940