incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Not new but under a new hat
Date Sat, 01 Oct 2011 13:04:37 GMT

> > I'd say stop posting reactionary and emotive stuff when someone makes a
> > positive suggestion to get people working together.
>
> You've hit the nail on the head!
>
> Since the split of the OOo community we had the strange situation that
> many people on both sides declared an interest to get together (even if
> it is unclear today how that will look like), but when we had
> discussions about that matter, most participants acted like they wanted
> the opposite.

Or maybe its just a few who happen to be more willing to post their
thinking. When I talk face to face with people they all seem to say "oh, it
would be a good thing to share resources and work efficiently together".
When I post to a mailing list I seem to get all the reasons and obstacles as
to why it can't happen. If the attitude is we can make it work probably it
can.

Looking for parts in each others posts that could be *interpreted*
> negatively got more interest than praising the positive statements in
> them. I have a very philantropic attitude, so I still believe that this
> was caused by negative emotions of the past, not by malevolence. But
> IMHO it's time to stop that and look forward, not backwards.
>
> Nobody is perfect - so people make mistakes. Sometimes also people have
> to do things for reasons that are not their own (I know this well
> enough!). If you want cooperation, you have to remember this and focus
> on the positive sides that can help to establish or foster cooperation,
> but not enhance the negative sides and blame people for them.
>
> And nobody should expect that anybody will come up with a plan and -
> whoosh! - both projects will work together. That won't happen.

Absolutely +1. Coding is hard work, but so is the community context in which
it can thrive.

> Future cooperation will require small steps and the admittance to overcome
> the
> mostly psychological barriers.

If you think you can or if you think you can't you are probably right :-)

Attitude is largely what matters.

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940