incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Marketing Team
Date Sun, 16 Oct 2011 21:25:47 GMT
On 16 October 2011 21:42, Alexandro Colorado <jza@openoffice.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 3:31 PM, Ross Gardler <rgardler@opendirective.com
> >wrote:
>
> > Just a meta-observation. Generally it is better to define things
> > that need to be done

One thing I think needs doing is to get some promotional videos on You tube
and get them further promoted through the community. If they get a lot of
hits we can even earn from advertising as well as getting the word out. I am
pretty busy at the moment but if there is a lull I'll take a look at what is
on You Tube OOo related.

rather than the roles that will be responsible. The
> > problem with defining specific roles that individuals fill is that those
> > people are then seen to be responsible and others do not step up to help
> > write as freely. I realise this doesn't seem entirely logical, but I have
> > observed it many times.
> >
> > I'm all for defining responsibilities, but it's usually not a good idea
> > define a leader as such. In an ASF project leaders are the ones who
> > currently have the best ideas and the time to follow them through.

Lots of ideas, not enough time ;-)

Having and leading ideas in marketing are also a selling task in itself to
> the rest of the group. The issue is if there is no vision, some tasks might
> get kicked out by what seems like a better idea at the time, but fail to
> achieve the larger goal.

Think you are talking about strategy.

> I can think of a call to action for example, a
> better idea would be either to wait, or to act half way while in the long
> run we could see we miss an opportunity. (thinking marketing wise).

Some of it is about having a means of communication so a marketing list is a
sensible thing to have. It's impossible to keep up with all the range of
posts on the current ooo-dev list.

> > Ross
> >
> > Sent from my mobile device, please forgive errors and brevity.
> > On Oct 14, 2011 8:28 PM, "Dave Fisher" <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> > > While discussing this month's PPMC Board Report we discussed making
> > > volunteers from the PPMC responsible for certain roles. We quickly
> > proceeded
> > > with a Press Liaison due to the immediate need. Before settling on a
> > larger
> > > set of roles let's have a discussion and come to a consensus.
> > >
> > > Types of roles or teams:
> > >
> > > (1) External or Marketing Team. Involving the relationship of the AOOo
> > > project community with the many communities in the OOo universe.
> > >
> > > - Press Liaison. (Don Harbison is currently filling this role.)
> > >
> > > - Security Officer. Responsible for security co-ordination with other
> > > entities.
> > >
> > > - TDF Liaison. Dedicated to the special relationship between AOOo and
> LO.
> > > (Would we have other special relationships?)
> > >
> > > - Brand Manager. Dedicated to the OOo brand.
> > >
> > > - Legal Affairs. Assure that copyright, license, and terms of use are
> all
> > > proper. That the NOTICE and LICENSE files are correct. Seek copyright
> > > assignments from authors where helpful. (Is this another team?)
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Dave

> dpharbison@gmail.com

> dave2wave@comcast.net