incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Lohmaier <cl...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: Neutral / shared security list ...
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2011 18:52:27 GMT
Hi Pedro, *,

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 8:42 PM, Pedro Giffuni <pfg@apache.org> wrote:
> I am not in the PPMC specifically to avoid participating in this type of
> discussions, but I have to say this, just IMHO:
>
> I fail to understand why the ASF is not considered neutral,

The ASF people is not the big problem. It is having @openoffice.org or
@apache.org as part of the address.

You wouldn't be OK with the list being @libreoffice.org or
@documentfoundation.org, would you?

Those are not neutral either. As I don't think this point is so hard
to understand, I can only assume Rob is reiterating on this stuff and
throwing in "trust is what matters" on purpose.

This has nothing to do with trust.

> We owe to our millions of users out there to maintain our own security
> channels and we cannot delegate them to a third party.

So why do you think it is OK for TDF/LibreOffice to do so?

(I know you're now switching from the neutrality issue to the
administration part, but that once again is a different issue. Here is
where trust also comes into play, but not any more than you have to
trust the people who are subscribed to those lists)

> Looking for
> an unrelated domain to handle our issues is like giving your children
> to your neighbors so they educate them "impartially".

For TDF,  @apache.org or @openoffice.org would be "unrelated", a
different party.

ciao
Christian