incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Alexandro Colorado <...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Marketing Team
Date Sun, 16 Oct 2011 20:42:18 GMT
On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 3:31 PM, Ross Gardler <rgardler@opendirective.com>wrote:

> Just a meta-observation. Generally it is better to define things
> that need to be done rather than the roles that will be responsible. The
> problem with defining specific roles that individuals fill is that those
> people are then seen to be responsible and others do not step up to help
> write as freely. I realise this doesn't seem entirely logical, but I have
> observed it many times.
>
> I'm all for defining responsibilities, but it's usually not a good idea to
> define a leader as such. In an ASF project leaders are the ones who
> currently have the best ideas and the time to follow them through.

Having and leading ideas in marketing are also a selling task in itself to
the rest of the group. The issue is if there is no vision, some tasks might
get kicked out by what seems like a better idea at the time, but fail to
achieve the larger goal. I can think of a call to action for example, a
better idea would be either to wait, or to act half way while in the long
run we could see we miss an opportunity. (thinking marketing wise).

> Ross

> On Oct 14, 2011 8:28 PM, "Dave Fisher" <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > While discussing this month's PPMC Board Report we discussed making
> > volunteers from the PPMC responsible for certain roles. We quickly
> proceeded
> > with a Press Liaison due to the immediate need. Before settling on a
> larger
> > set of roles let's have a discussion and come to a consensus.
> >
> > Types of roles or teams:
> >
> > (1) External or Marketing Team. Involving the relationship of the AOOo
> > project community with the many communities in the OOo universe.
> >
> > - Press Liaison. (Don Harbison is currently filling this role.)
> >
> > - Security Officer. Responsible for security co-ordination with other
> > entities.
> >
> > - TDF Liaison. Dedicated to the special relationship between AOOo and LO.
> > (Would we have other special relationships?)
> >
> > - Brand Manager. Dedicated to the OOo brand.
> >
> > - Legal Affairs. Assure that copyright, license, and terms of use are all
> > proper. That the NOTICE and LICENSE files are correct. Seek copyright
> > assignments from authors where helpful. (Is this another team?)
> >
> > Regards,
> > Dave
> >
> > On Oct 12, 2011, at 12:51 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

> > dave2wave@comcast.net>

> > PPMC

> > generally
> > and