incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Alexandro Colorado <...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: [REVIEW] Staged Migration of OO.o domain properties (long)
Date Mon, 17 Oct 2011 14:32:35 GMT
On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 9:25 AM, Shane Curcuru <asf@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:

> On 10/14/2011 7:56 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> > I've been pondering what it takes to choreograph migration of the live
> > OpenOffice.org properties into Apache custodianship.
> ...snip...
>
> Great starts all.
>
> Where is the noodling and proposed list of what domains we want to keep
> (i.e. host as *.oo.o to keep links, or host at ooo.a.o/* because it's
> project oriented information) and what ones we're not going to keep?

I would preffer an *.oo.o is easier to manage and recognized, create shorter
URLs and also reinforce branding.

> In particular, other than keeping some of the highly linked informational
> domains from oo.o, I would expect that there would be significantly fewer
> major domain names being used in the future project.  But maybe that's just
> me.

Surely many projects are not mantained anymore or their existance could be
reincorporated into larger projects like development.openoffice.org as you
could see on the traffic of the mailing list some components experience a
low volume of traffic that could be re-incorporated into a larger project.
Example the CD-ROM project back into distribution.

> A parallel discussion might be how we use oo.o versus ooo.a.o in the
> future.  The development core of the project needs to be on ooo.a.o (or
> whatever name y'all choose), as do the actual future download sites.
>
> I'm thinking of oo.o as an informational portal, mostly with either
> immediate redirects or with informational pages that point people towards
> the appropriate ooo.a.o pages.  Then we can in the future consider adding
> additional user-based information on the whole OOo ecosystem to the oo.o
> site.
>
> One important aspect is to ensure that user expectations for Apache
> software are met.  That means anything served off of an *.apache.orgdomain must meet
the project branding requirements, be under the Apache

--
*Alexandro Colorado*
*OpenOffice.org* EspaƱol