incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Harbison <dpharbi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is there an org chart of the previous OOo governance(s)?
Date Wed, 12 Oct 2011 20:13:56 GMT
Well, you can take a look at http://projects.openoffice.org/ ...and see the
structure of work division by project and the names of people who were
associated with those projects in the past.

There was an Engineering Steering Committee (ESC) where the Sun developer
staff met with volunteers, but it was largely a Sun/Oracle led affair. See:
http://council.openoffice.org/esc/
"The responsibility of the ESC is as follows:

   - Provide advice on technical implementations in case of conflicting
   interests.

It is not the forum for making technical decisions in general, this remains
in the responsibility of the project leads.

   -

   Their advice can be overruled by the Community Council."

Since all the project leads were Sun/Oracle employees, the ESC was intended
to take input, but not necessarily follow it.

TDF evolved it to look like:
http://blog.documentfoundation.org/2011/05/23/the-document-foundation-announces-the-members-of-the-engineering-steering-committee/

The Community Council charter is here:
http://council.openoffice.org/councilcharter12.html ...

Juergen Schmidt may be able to provide more insight here when he can catch
up to the list as he was a member of the CC.

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 1:41 PM, Shane Curcuru <asf@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:

> What's the best place to (quickly) learn just who was who and what groups
> did what in the previous OOo life at Oracle?
>
> I see things like Community council and Engineering steering council and
> lots of projects, but it's not clear yet how they were supposed to be
> related or helped to manage each other.
>
> It might be helpful to work on some simple explanations/diagrams of how OOo
> used to work, and then show how the new Apache OOo is working.
>
> I don't really think this will help. We have the project wiki established
with a proposed structure. What we haven't done so well is to produce a
'Welcome, start here' FAQ and so forth. Dennis offered the first blog entry
on that way back in July.

I will offer to update that as soon as I get my credentials to Roller from
infra.

/don