incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject [licensing] On Apache Releases [WAS Re: Clarification on treatment of "weak copyleft" components]
Date Thu, 20 Oct 2011 13:06:07 GMT
<snip>

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 5:08 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> I'm trying, with some difficulty, to interpret what we can do based on the description
here:

> http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-b
>
> How does this fit into a release strategy that has both source and
> binary releases.

Let me turn that around and start to answer "how can an appropriate
release strategy be formulated that abides by these rules?" :-)

IMHO understanding the way Apache uses these terms is key

At Apache, a "source release" is (just) what's in version control when
the release is cut, is canonical and mandatory. Other artifacts follow
the "binary release" rules, are optional and secondary.

"Source releases" are aimed at downstream developers. Amongst this
audience are downstream packagers. An important aim of the "source
release" rules is to allow downstream developers to confidently create
derivative works without excessive effort checking licenses.

"Binary releases" are everything else, including artifacts containing
source code in combination with other works.

More explanation? Questions? Opinions? Comments? Objections?

Robert