incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Shutdown of the "download.services.openoffice.org" host and its Mirrorbrain instance
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2011 12:02:50 GMT
On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 2:08 AM, Marcus (OOo) <marcus.mail@wtnet.de> wrote:

<snip>

> The problem is that the ASF do not want to host and provide services of
> special software for single projects. I can understand this as even the ASF
> infra is a team of volunteers and their time is limited as it is for all
> others.

I think this is a little open to misinterpretation. Hopefully a Mentor
will jump in but (until they do) I'll do my best to explain a little
bit more about the way infrastructure works here at Apache...

The infrastructure team at Apache is an independent, volunteer-led
self-organising community of experts. Apache delegates infrastructure
to this community, and provides resources to sustain their work[1].
When asking infrastructure for help, it's essential to remember this
and engage with them as peers with special expertise. Anyone arriving
with a solution or a request for a new service must expect to be
challenged to defend and refine their choice of solution.

To move back to the particular, this is a migration issue. A valuable
service is about to be closed and needs to be migrated. Whether this
is right long term solution is open to debate but accepting a service
for a temporary period doesn't raise the issues that committing to
provide a similar service for all projects forever would. Please
explain the problem to infrastructure and ask for their help to find a
solution.

Robert

[1] The team has a budget and some flexibility to bring additional
resources - included hired help - when needed. Apache has adequate
financial resources but is culturally resistant to committing to
additional spending without good reason. Apache values independence.
Dependency on funding risks that independence.