incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Shutdown of the "download.services.openoffice.org" host and its Mirrorbrain instance
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2011 12:15:36 GMT
On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 12:36 PM, Christian Lohmaier
<cloph@openoffice.org> wrote:
> Hi Dennis, *,
>
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 2:04 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton
> <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
>> I read somewhere, and I don't know where, that ASF did not want torrents to be used.
>> I'm guessing that the issue is related to ensuring the integrity and authenticity
of
>> packaged releases.
>
> That doesn't make sense - integrity is assured by bittorrent by
> providing sha1sums for each  chunk. And authenticity can be assured
> just like it is with regular releases - just include a corresponding
> signature file within the torrent.

Better to download the signature over HTTPS but yes, I see no reason
why this approach could not be made to work

>> I may have dreamed it or I am mixing this up with something else.
>
> If those were the only reasons, then they were made-up arguments.

When engaging with Infrastructure, expect to be challenged and to have
to defend any proposal. These lists are open, so expect a range of
cluefulness from contributors. The best way to impress the core
infrastructure team is for plenty of clueful people from a project to
show up and defend the proposal with well research arguments. Giving
up and going away is the surest way to lose the argument...

Robert