incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: License implications of build-time or test-time dependencies?
Date Fri, 21 Oct 2011 17:58:10 GMT
On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 9:37 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 4:07 PM, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 12:08 PM, Pedro Giffuni <pfg@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Hmm ...
>>> We have discussed some of the things that must be replaced but we have not drawn
a roadmap about it beyond the initial migration list. I think we will have to open BZ issues
for those.

>>> The gtk/qt issue is rather critcal: I do not think there is previous history
among Apache projects depending on them but if we cannot consider those "system provided"
libraries it would be a serious setback to an early Apache release.

>> I would support allowing C/C++ code to link to gtk and/or qt, provided
>> we don't distribute gtk or qt themselves.  Both are LGPL.  The LGPL is
>> clear for languages like C, C++.
>>

> Clear in what sense?  Dynamic linking and such?

Before Version 3, the meaning of the LGPL - when applied to many
dynamic and interpreted languages -  was sufficiently debatable to
pose a definite legal risk. It would be surprising but not
unreasonable for a court to rule that the license was strong (not
weak) copyleft for some languages.

Robert